Wednesday, February 3, 2010

MJ and Politics

When I was little, maybe four or five, I was in love with Michael Jackson. I would listen to Thriller on record at my grandma's house and dance around the living room. Any time he would be on TV, she would record it on VHS for me, and I would watch it over and over. I had at least four of his albums on cassette and would constantly walk around with my Walkman, singing and dancing. I even named my favorite teddy bear Bubbles.

Like most kids, I grew out of my obsession. He drifted out of my mind until he passed away last July. Since then I bought the CD's of my favorite MJ albums. Listening to his music brings back many memories, but now that I am older, I can really appreciate the messages behind the lyrics. When I was little, I didn't fully get the idea of "healing the world" and that "they don't really care about us". I didn't understand that "Billie Jean" was about the consequences of a one night stand or that "Heal the World" was to promote education about AIDS in Africa. Now that I understand the true messages behind his songs and how much he strove for world peace, I have fallen in love with him all over again.

1 comment:

  1. I never really liked Michael Jackson music, but I did buy a few songs on iTunes after he died. Smooth Criminal, Thriller, and Billie Jean. The songs were good, but I was never really into him as a person. He was just a little too weird for me...

    ReplyDelete