Friday, February 26, 2010

Have a Problem With Stripping? Then Don't Be a Stripper

This past week the Detroit City Council has been debating on whether or not to close the strip clubs in Detroit. Some members say that closing the clubs will help diminish crime and promote a better way of life for it's people. I completely disagree with this.

I watched a debate about this topic on Fox News last night. I've never been a fan of strip clubs and when I first heard of the possibility of some of them closing down, I was all for it. After listening to their discussion, I changed my mind. First of all, one of the arguments for closing the clubs is the assumption that crime rate will go down. This does not make any sense to me. There is going to be just as much crime as there was before, in my opinion. The people running the clubs, as well as the actual performers, will be out of a job and will be driven to other forms of making their money, like prostitution or drug dealing. I think crime rate would probably get worse.

If these clubs do close, it doesn't mean that people will stop attending. They will just have to travel outside of Detroit ten more minutes to get a peak.

To me, people can do what they want as long as it's not harming others. I'm sure these women working at these clubs are in dire situations, or else they wouldn't be resorting to this line of work in the first place. Just because I don't like the idea of parading myself around in front of a bunch of men, doesn't give me, or anyone the right to judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment