Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Writing for Television

After reading the first few chapters of our TV writing book, I've been thinking about which show I would like to write for if I had the choice. I realized that about 80 percent of the shows I watch on a regular basis are from the 90's and have been off the air for years. I love shows like Seinfeld, Married With Children, Sex in the City, and Everyone Loves Raymond. The only other show I really watch is Lost, but that show has a definite ending and there will be no way to come up with a concept.

The other 20 percent of my television watching is (sadly) reality TV. Now I'm sure that a lot of the situations and scenarios are scripted, but they are all very similar. I don't know how to be a writer for a reality TV show. Actually, I don't think I would want to.

The reason I've been thinking about this is because I have a strong feeling that our next assignment will be to write a script or a spec script. I want to have a few ideas so I'm not struggling to think of something when it gets closer to the end.

1 comment:

  1. I love Married with Children and Everyone loves Raymond. I also really liked Fresh Prince. I don't know.... it doesn't seem like there are good sitcoms anymore. Even if there is something I like, it just gets canceled. For example, I loved the show Reaper on the CW. It was about a guy who turned 21 and found out his parents sold his soul to the devil. He had to work for the devil and capture escaped souls. It ended on such a cliffhanger. His girlfriend ended up trying to challenge the devil for his freedom, but she lost and had to work for him as well. I hate getting drawn into shows (like I did with Reaper), because they always seem to get canned.

    ReplyDelete