Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Thoughts on Dancing Documentary

The schoolkids dancing documentary was my favorite video we watched in class so far. I think it's a great idea to have this course taught in schools, especially in underprivileged communities. It lets the kids something positive to look forward to. It also gives them an outlet for any of the hostility they may have at home or with their friends. Kids need the positive influence from adults as well as their peers. It gives them an opportunity to make new friends that they might not have otherwise even talked to.

On the flip side, some schools may take the competition too seriously, such as the private school that was featured. I can understand the importance of teaching grace and etiquette, but they are just kids. It should be fun for them, not something that could bring them more stress, which is the vibe I got from that institution. That dancing coach made me anxious, and I was just watching her!

I think this class should be taught in more schools. Kids these days need to be taught more than just History, English, and Science. Things like grace, etiquette, and manners are skills that kids will use to benefit them for the rest of their lives. It might even be a good idea to have this as a course college students can take! I would be interested in taking it.

No comments:

Post a Comment