Friday, March 5, 2010

Is the Such a Thing as TOO Selfless?

I find myself wondering if I've been trying too hard to do what others want instead of what is best for myself. I've been noticing that there have been things that others want me to do, and I just say yes and make commitments that I end up breaking because I don't want to do them. It's really hard for me to say no to people because I just want everyone to be happy and have a positive view of me.
One instance in particular made me reflect on this.

My friend is leaving for Germany in about a week. She wanted to go shopping to pick up a couple things before she left. She told me that she wanted to go to the outlet mall near Frankenmuth. Even though I didn't want to go all the way out there, I told her I would wake up early and go. The morning of, I really didn't feel like going all the way out there, so I ended up just blowing her off.

I should have just told her from the beginning that I didn't want to go with her. I didn't want her to be mad at me, but I ended up making her frustrated, and got her hopes up besides. I'm going to try to be more up front with people and just let them know right away if there is something I don't want to do, and not feel like I have to be pressured. I know it's going to be really hard for me though.

1 comment:

  1. I understand what you are saying from doting the I to crossing the T. Its hard to let people down but I believe things would have gone better for your friend if you would have told her up front. I can't stand being blown off. I hope you guys talked about it later and she was understanding. Everyone need room to grow, at lest you can admit to what happened.

    ReplyDelete