Thursday, January 28, 2010

Vertigo: Not Just a Movie

These past few days I have been feeling very under the weather. My head has been very dizzy and I feel like I have been walking in world that is constantly lopsided. It makes me really tired to do anything simple. Even taking a shower and brushing my teeth has caused the whole room to spin.

I finally went to the doctor yesterday and apparently I have a mean case of vertigo. After my doctor said this I was confused. The only time I even heard of this was when I had to watch the Jimmy Stewart movie in high school.

The symptoms are caused from a problem inside the inner ear that controls balance. From what I understand, everyone has little rocks inside their inner ear that helps with balance. Vertigo occurs when these little rocks get dislodged and float around in spots their not supposed to be, making you feel dizzy and disoriented. It can go away on its own once the rocks get back into place.

I knew I had a couple screws loose, but I thought my rocks were just fine...

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that's what you have been going through. My grandma has vertigo, so I sort of know how you must be feeling. She gets very dizzy, and sometimes she has to just sit down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of weather is "very under the weather"?... Just messing with you. I heard somewhere, I don't remember when or where, but what I heard was a liquid type substance in the inner ear handled balance. I am confused because I have never heard about rock like objects in the ear. I don't know why, but I get the image of a maraca.

    Did you see a doctor? Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete