Thursday, January 14, 2010

Tune in to Memories

On my way home from class I heard two songs that each made me have a blast from the past. The song was "Taste of Ink" by The Used. It made me think of one of the friends I used to have when I was in high school. She was my very best friend at the time, and I haven't thought about her in years. We had a falling out about some trivial misunderstandings and just never kept in touch. But hearing this song brought back such a vivd memory of us singing to random songs in her den and looking up random things on the internet. I can remember it all clear as day. It just surprised me that it took me that long for me to be reminded.

The other song that I heard brought me back to my first date. It was "Even Flow" by Pearl Jam. I was with a guy that was "everything I wanted"... or so I thought. He was in a band, played the bass guitar and drove a Honda Civic. (I had a weird taste in stuff when I was younger.) Anyway, we had just got out of the movie theatre. We saw Shrek. We were sitting in the car and he put in the Pearl Jam album. Every time I hear "Even Flow" I think of him, and all the anxiety I felt being on that awkward first date comes back.

It's funny how your mind associates the songs to experiences in your life. It makes memories so much clearer. Even if it seems to be the most random event, it must be of some significance if it is still stored in your brain, right? I thought about this quite seriously on my way home tonight. I then proceeded to run over the curb while turning a corner. I guess I should pay more attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment